Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): We’re Here to Help
Discover the answers to all of your Avery Austin FAQs, whether you’re new to our online store or already one of our treasured brides or bridesmaids. Here you can learn more about the Avery Austin brand, as well as tricks and tips for shopping the bridesmaid and wedding dresses we offer. From questions about online wedding dress sizing, placing orders, and shipping to questions about managing dress returns or choosing colors and fabrics, these frequently asked questions will guide you through your bridal experience with us.
About Our Site
Avery Austin is an online boutique that reimagines the wedding dress shopping experience so our customers can shop with ease. For over 30 years, we have been designing and manufacturing wedding and bridesmaid dresses. Now we are eliminating the traditional retail mark-up so we can focus on our passion: Designing timeless styles with thoughtful details, providing personalized style service, and delivering a salon quality dress straight to your home.
We love connecting with our customers! If you just want to say hello or have questions about your bridesmaid or wedding dress order, you can reach us Monday – Friday (9am – 5pm, CST) at 713-804-6002 or via the chat icon on our website. After business hours, send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form on our Contact Us page for an email follow-up. To connect with an expert bridal stylist for styling advice, e-mail us at email@example.com.
Yes! We love to see our customers glowing in their Avery Austin wedding dresses. Use the hashtag #AVERYAUSTINBRIDE, tag us @AVERYAUSTINOFFICIAL, or send us an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to be featured on our website or social media.
We take pride in the quality of our bridesmaid and wedding dresses and strive for every customer to have the best experience possible. We value our customer’s reviews and feedback to help us grow. You can leave a review on our website by visiting the page you bought your item on and scrolling down to where it says “Ratings and Reviews” at the bottom.
Yes, we do offer specials and promotions throughout the year. To be the first to know about our latest offers, join the Avery Austin mailing list by providing your email address in the box at the bottom of this page. You can also check out our Special Offers page for featured promotions
Colors and Fabrics
A dye lot is a record indicating a fabric or trim was dyed in the same dye vat. When dresses are not made in the same dye lot, it is not guaranteed that the color will be exactly the same. In order to avoid dye lot variations, we recommend bridesmaids order their gowns together or around the same time. Your bridal stylist can help you consolidate orders if you’re ordering with a group!
Ensure everyone is ordering the same fabric type.
- Each type of fabric absorbs dye differently, so colors can vary between fabric types. To avoid color variation, we recommend ordering bridesmaid dresses made with the same fabric.
Connect with a stylist.
- Connect with your bridal stylist and let them know that you’re planning to place a group bridesmaid dress order. Your stylist will get additional details like how many bridesmaids are in your party and their names so we can wait and process them all together.
Place one big order.
- If possible, please place all bridesmaid dresses together as one order. If this is not possible, please have your bridal party place their individual orders within a 24-hour period, and we’ll consolidate them together.
Keep exceptions in mind.
- If bridesmaid dresses are mixed and matched between our ready-to-ship collection and our special orders, they will not be from the same dye lot.
Ranging from dreamy blues to playful pinks, our bridesmaid dresses come in a variety of colors. Many of our wedding dresses come in a range of neutral colors from blush to sand. Not seeing the color you’re looking for? Connect with our expert bridal stylists who will be able to provide you with recommendations to help you achieve your dream aesthetic.
Though we may have colors similar in name to colors offered by other companies, please note that our shades are not guaranteed to match. We highly encourage our customers to view the swatches offered and purchase swatches they are interested in so that they can see the colors in person.
Yes! Each fabric’s texture and dye lot can cause a color variation between fabrics. Lighting, photography, and filters can also play a role in visual color variance. To get an idea of how a specific color will look, order a swatch so you can see it in person. We highly encourage ordering swatches if you plan to mix fabrics for your bridesmaid dresses. You can also use swatches as a color point of reference for your wedding planning.
Colors can be enhanced or dulled depending on your device or screen resolution. It happens to every website, so that’s why we offer fabric swatches! You can request up to 3 fabric swatches free of charge with your Try at Home bridesmaid dress sample box or purchase any swatch for $1 each.
We offer a variety of fabrics for our wedding dresses, including:
- Chiffon: This wedding dress fabric is soft, lightweight, and sheer, making it perfect as a flowy overlay for a graceful and ethereal look.
- Crepe: Possibly one of the lightest wedding gown fabrics, crepe is easily identified by its soft, yet crimped texture.
- Lace: Usually an intricate design on a sheer or netlike background, lace can be tightly woven and heavy or delicately detailed and light. Lace is most often used as embellishments or appliques, but it can be used from top to bottom to create a classic all-lace bridal gown.
- Mikado: A thick and stiff fabric similar to satin (but less shiny), mikado holds its shape well for ball gown wedding dresses and is the perfect canvas for lavish embellishments.
- Organza: Sheer and lightweight like chiffon, organza is crisp and stiff enough to hold its shape well when draped.
- Ponte: With a knit structure similar to jersey (but a bit heavier), ponte has a soft shine and a bit of stretch to it.
- Satin: Soft, luxurious, and shiny, satin is known for its glossy surface and thickness that makes draping easy and beautiful.
- Tulle: A delicate net-like fabric, tulle can be used as an overlay for a romantic look or as many underlayers that provide the perfect volume for ball gown wedding dresses.
What to see the color and feel the texture of these wedding dress fabrics in person? Purchase one of our swatches for only $1, or contact one of our bridal stylists to set up your own Try at Home box! To learn more about these wedding dress fabrics and more, check out Avery Austin’s Guide to Wedding Dress Fabrics.
We offer a variety of fabrics for our bridesmaid dresses, including:
- Chiffon: This bridesmaid dress fabric’s signature is softness. It has a lightweight and sheer texture that creates a chic transparent appearance and allows versatile draping.
- Double Knit: This knit fabric is extremely flexible and typically provides stretch in both the warp and weft directions, offering a superb fit whether the bridesmaid dress is worn close to the body or draped around it.
- Lace: This fabric is a decorative design on a netlike background and can either be heavy or light. Lace patterns on our bridesmaid dresses range from embroidered ribbon to delicate Chantilly lace.
- Lush Chiffon: This chiffon fabric is lightweight with full fold drape and has a slight stretch across the grain. The fabric offers outstanding durability and insulation to create gorgeous flowy bridesmaid dresses.
- Lux Chiffon: This type of chiffon is wonderfully smooth and extremely lightweight with a great one directional stretch. Fluidity and effortlessness in the drape makes this fabric perfect for a magnificent formal bridesmaid dress.
- Satin: This fabric is characterized by its soft, lustrous, and shiny surface. Because of the glossy surface, satin normally reflects light beautifully, making satin bridesmaid dresses picture perfect.
- Sequins: Sequins are flat beaded-like pieces that are scattered throughout a mesh or solid backing to create a sensational and stunning look. Each sequin has reflective properties, which gives bridesmaid dresses made from this fabric an overall bright sheen, especially under the lights.
- Tulle: This fabric is a versatile, flexible, and soft fabric. It is a delicate mesh net fabric that is used for the creation of those dreamy and romantic bridesmaid dresses.
We currently offer swatches for a majority of our dress fabrics. Get a feel for the materials and color for just $1 per swatch with free shipping via USPS. Sometimes the resolution can affect the way colors appear on your screen, so we recommend ordering a swatch or two so you can see them in person. These can also become a great resource for matching other wedding items to your color palette.
Please note that swatches are a final sale, and we don’t currently offer lace swatches. Our bridesmaid dresses with lace are dyed to match the other fabric components of the dress. If you would like to see a dress in a specific lace color, connect with your bridal stylist to find a Try at Home sample bridesmaid dress that meets your needs.
Sizing and Fit
For our bridesmaid and wedding dresses, you will need to measure your bust, waist, hips, and from the hollow of your neck to hemline (Check out our sizing video here). To do this, you’ll need a measuring tape and someone to assist you if possible. For the most accurate measurements, you should wear undergarments similar to those you intend to wear with your dress, along with the heel height you plan to wear. Here are some tips for taking each type of measurement:
- Bust: The bust measurement is taken at the fullest part of the bust when you are wearing only a bra or a very thin fabric over a bra. Be sure that the measuring tape is straight across the back area.
- Waist: Bend slightly at the waist to one side and place the measuring tape where your waist creases. Do not place the tape where you normally wear the waist of your clothing because many clothes are cut with a slightly raised or dropped waist, which is different from your true waist size. Measure around your waist at the crease point only.
- Hip: To measure your hip, wrap your measuring tape around the fullest part of your hip. This spot is usually about 7 to 9 inches below the point where you measured your true waist.
- Hollow to Hem: This is an optional measurement that will help you visualize the dress length. All of our dresses come in a standard hollow-to-hem length of 59 inches. We offer two additional custom hollow to hem measurements (petite 56” or tall 62”) at no additional cost to help minimize alterations on your hemline. To figure out the best hollow-to-hem measurement for your height, you’ll need to measure from the center of your collar bone (hollow) down to where the bottom (hem) of your bridesmaid or wedding dress should be.
After taking your measurements, refer to our designer’s size chart for your specific dress to determine which size to select.
Once you have taken your measurements, refer to the size chart for your specific bridesmaid or wedding dress. Please note that sizing can differ between bridal designers. Even if you purchased a bridesmaid or wedding dress from another designer before shopping with Avery Austin, you'll still need to use your measurements to determine which size works best for you.
If you cannot match your exact measurements to all three measurements indicated on the size chart, we suggest ordering according to the largest measurement. Remember, bridesmaid and wedding dresses can be taken in, but taking them out depends on the seam allowances, which in most cases are very slim.
“Hollow to hem” is the length from the center of your collarbone (hollow) to the bottom (hem) of your bridesmaid or wedding dress. All Avery Austin dresses come in a standard length measurement of 59”. We offer two additional custom hollow to hem measurements (petite 56” or tall 62”) at no cost to you to help minimize alterations. Please note that hollow-to-hem selections are custom made for you, and all sales are final.
Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy! We generally recommend ordering at least 1 – 2 sizes up, but we highly encourage you to connect with one of our bridal stylists to help guide you. Alterations will most likely be necessary.
No, there are no additional charges for plus-size wedding or bridesmaid dresses at Avery Austin. We believe a bridesmaid or wedding dress should be the same price, no matter the size.
Alterations are sometimes necessary, as the bridesmaid or wedding dress is not custom made to your specific measurements. Your measurements can be used to determine the best match with the manufacturer’s standard size. However, a seamstress can custom fit and alter the bridesmaid or wedding dress to your body’s measurements. Avery Austin does not perform or provide alterations, and alteration costs are the responsibility of the customer.
Use tWhen special accessories, bridesmaid dresses, or wedding dresses are listed as “special order,” it means that the items you want are made to order. Special order bridal dresses take approximately 8 weeks, while bridesmaid dresses and veils take approximately 6 weeks. Please note this does not include transit time from our fulfillment center to your home. If you need a dress sooner, we highly recommend checking out our ready-to-ship bridal and bridesmaid dresses.
.his text to answer questions in as much detail as possible for your customers.
For wedding dress orders, we recommend ordering at least 4 months in advance. For bridesmaid dress orders, we recommend ordering at least 3 months in advance. Since the majority of our gowns are special order items, ordering early will allow for transit time and dress alterations. If you plan to do bridal portraits, please consider ordering even earlier. If you do need a dress more quickly that time allows for a special order item, be sure to shop our selection of ready-to-ship wedding and bridesmaid dresses.
We’re so happy that you’ve found the perfect dress and are all set to order! Thankfully, placing a bridesmaid or wedding dress order with Avery Austin is super simple. Go to your item’s page and select the correct color, size, and hollow-to-hem measurement. Add your item to the cart and follow the instructions for the online checkout process. Before you submit the order, please verify that all of your information is correct, including the estimated delivery date for your item. After you submit your order, you’ll receive an email confirmation.
If you need any assistance, please contact us during business hours at 713-804-6002, and we’ll be able to walk you through the ordering process.
During business hours, connect with one of our bridal experts at 713-804-6002, and they can walk you through the online ordering process. Unfortunately, we are unable to place orders directly through the phone.
At this time, we do not offer rush production for our bridesmaid or wedding dresses. Thankfully, our production time frame is one of the fastest in the bridal industry! We do offer expedited shipping options if you prefer to receive your dress as quickly as possible after it reaches our fulfillment center. Another option to consider if you need a bridesmaid or wedding dress right away is to shop our ready-to-ship bridesmaid or wedding styles, as these items have the fastest turnaround time from order to delivery.
We ship all of our products within the 48 contiguous states in the USA. At this time, we do not ship to Alaska, Hawaii, U.S. territories, P.O. boxes, AFO/FPO addresses, or internationally.
When you add an item to your shopping cart, we estimate the processing time and standard shipping delivery date. Expedited shipping options are available at checkout, but this will only affect how quickly you can receive your item after your order has been processed or made-to-order. We ship FedEx Ground for most orders within the U.S., but swatch orders are shipped via USPS.
All orders of in-stock merchandise placed before 10 AM CST will be shipped the same business day. Orders placed after 10 AM CST will be shipped the following business day. Business days are Monday through Friday (non-holiday).
For all special orders, please allow additional processing time, as they are made just for you. Once your order is placed, our team will then review your order and make sure everything looks good to go. This processing time can take 1-3 business days. Then each item is made-to-order, taking approximately 6 weeks for bridesmaid dresses or veils and 8 weeks for wedding dresses
The cost of bridesmaid or wedding dress shipping can vary depending upon the value of your order and the type that is selected. Since we only ship within the continental U.S. at this time, we charge a flat standard shipping rate based on your order’s value. Shipping rates will be calculated automatically at checkout based on the pre-tax purchase amount.
Order Value $0-$199.99
Order Value $200+
Expedited delivery is available via FedEx. Expedited rates vary by destination and will be calculated at checkout.
Any bridesmaid or wedding dress orders of $500 or more will require a signature at the time of delivery. If you are not available to sign for the package, the shipping provider will leave a notice of attempt to deliver. The shipping provider will not be able to leave the package.
By signing up for FedEx Delivery Manager, you may be able to sign online for eligible packages before a scheduled delivery or reroute your package to another location where someone can sign on your behalf.
Yes, you can return in-stock wedding or bridesmaid dresses! We take pride in the quality of our merchandise and want you to be happy with your order. If you aren’t, we offer easy, no-hassle refunds on your gown within 7 days of your receipt of the items.
All returned items must be unworn and in original packaging with tags affixed. Shipping fees will not be refunded. Garments must be returned in their original condition, unworn, and unaltered. Gowns not returned in original condition may be refused or subject to a $100 restocking fee.
Email email@example.com to request a return.
Special order or made-to-order dresses are made specifically for you by the designer after you have purchased it. All sales are final on special order gowns and are not eligible for returns
Most credits are applied within 5-7 business days of receipt of the item, allowing for processing and inspection time. If our warehouse is unable to accept your return, the merchandise will be returned to you without credit. Once your dress return is approved, a refund will be issued for the purchase price, less the shipping charge. Credit will only be applied to the original credit card account used for the purchase.
We do not offer an exchange service for products at this time. To change an order, you will need to return the item(s) for a refund and place a new order for the correct item(s).
Try At Home
Yes, you can! Our Try at Home program allows you to pick up to 3 bridesmaid or wedding dresses at a time to be sent right to your door. Once you receive your dress(es), you have up to 7 days to try on and return them to us, using the enclosed prepaid shipping label. Whether you’re trying on for style or size, our Try at Home program allows you to feel confident in your online purchase! You can learn more about our Try at Home program and how it works with the frequently asked questions found here.
Yes! Check out Avery Austin’s bridal blog for everything you need to know about wedding dresses. Answering all your questions from alterations and wedding dress care to types of straps, necklines, styles, and more, these bridal articles will prep you for your wedding experience before, during, and after the nuptials. Here are just a few of the guides and FAQs addressed by the Avery Austin blog:
Dress Care Before, During, and After Your Wedding
- How to Take Care of Your Wedding Dress Before Your Wedding
- How to Travel with Your Wedding Dress
- How to Get Dressed for Your Wedding
- How to Clean and Preserve Your Wedding Dress
- A Guide to Wedding Dress Alterations
- A Guide to Wedding Dress Bustles
- A Guide to Wedding Dress Fabrics
- A Guide to Wedding Dress Necklines
- A Guide to Wedding Dress Sleeve Types
- A Guide to Wedding Dress Strap Styles
- A Guide to Wedding Dress Styles
- Wedding Dress Train Length Guide
Questions About Weddings and Dresses